On a weekday when I’m running to school, I usually have something quick and easy, and it’s usually something I can take in the car. I’ve done green smoothies for the past few months, and recently I’ve gone back to good ol’ oatmeal. Growing up, I was never one for a large breakfast. If it was brunch, larger plates of eggs, bacon, and toast were completely acceptable. I guess it was just something about waking up early and not wanting a full meal?
This is one of the ways in which Brandon and I differ. The man can cook himself a plate of eggs and toast almost every morning. He loves his breakfast, and loves opportunities in which we can eat breakfast together.
All this to say that Saturday we had the most glorious breakfast ever. And Brandon said it was the best thing I’ve ever cooked. So of course I have to share this with you!
What are these, might you ask? They are JALEPENO CHEDDAR BISCUITS! And what could be better than that, you say??
JALEPENO CHEDDAR BISCUITS WITH EGG, SALSA, AND AVOCADO!!!
….I’m sorry, I don’t mean to shout. It was just an incredibly brilliant creation from Annie’s Eats, and you should follow the link to check it out here.
The one thing I noticed that I would go back and change was that the recipe calls for black pepper but was left out of the instructions. So just mix it in when you’re mixing together the flour, baking powder, and salt. I could definitely tell that it was missing in my batch, and would have loved the addition.
The biscuits aren’t spicy, but the jalapeño adds a wonderful flavor, and of course you can’t go wrong with cheddar cheese in your biscuits! These biscuits can even be frozen before cooking, which I did with half the batch so that we didn’t devour all of them in one sitting. (However, we did wipe them out on Sunday afternoon!) Major Kudos to Annie for this phenomenal recipe!
I wanted to leave you with a few other breakfast recipes I’ve been eyeing but haven’t yet had a chance to try. If you beat me to it, feel free to comment and let me know how it tastes!
– These strawberry jam toaster pastries look wonderful! Brandon and I were just talking the other day about pulling out my toaster pastry press and making some strawberry ones soon!
– A Cozy Kitchen’s black pepper strawberry butter sounds like a fun adventurous try for topping bagels! And it’s so pretty! She also posted about this lovely toasted almond french toast that I’ve been dying to try. Now that we drink almond milk, it would be exciting to try this out.
– These baked clementine vanilla bean doughnuts look awesome. I would have never thought to use clementines because I’m much more prone to just peeling them and eating the cute little segments as quickly as possible!
– These blueberry yogurt crumb muffins.
– And these broken yolk sandwiches with garlicky kale, especially now that I know I love kale!
Like I said, if you cook it before me, let me know how it goes! And feel free to comment if you have other favorite breakfast recipes you’d love to share!